Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Eleventh Soldier

Sometimes photographs are unplanned and unpredictable. And sometimes portrait subjects spring from left field. The unobservant photographer often misses these opportunities. Here is an unusual link between mother and son. A small dose of initiative has provided lifelong memories and friendships.

Dale Jackson
In 2006 I organised two teams of photographers to shoot stills on the set of the war fim The Eleventh Soldier written and directed by Perth boy Danny Parry. Fourteen acres were laboriously transformed into an Australian military base in Vietnam. A dozen buildings were constructed, sandbags filled, barbed wire strung out and a virtual army assembled on a property near Forrestfield.

One of the young soldiers I photographed looked as though he was still school age, much like some of our WW1 veterans. Coincidentally, he bore my name, Dale. Another soldier posed for me after succumbing to war wounds in the field of battle. Despite the fact it was 'just a movie' being on the set had a profound effect on me, especially the address to the troops before they headed into battle. The address was delivered by a real Vietnam vet and had a chillingly realistic ring to it.

Pam Pettit Jackson 

Danny Parry

I was fortunate enough to get an invite to the premiere of The Eleventh Soldier at the Astor Theatre. As a guest I engaged paparazzi to photograph the guests. Among the glitterati one woman stood out.  An attractive, poised brunette who glided in the crowd. She was there to see her son Dale on the big screen. Two weeks later, as I reviewed the proofs I spotted her image and invited her to be a portrait subject for my UWA Portrait Workshop. Her name was Pam Pettit Jackson .

Since the movie premiere Pam has modelled for my students a number of times. Pam and I have also embarked on a number of unusual photographic projects together and in 2013 Pam won the WA chapter of the ABC's Miss Fisher contest and was runner-up nationally. Pam is a dyed-in-the wool Collingwood supporter, a successful professional model for Chadwicks and still manages to flit off to Paris to celebrate special occasions. More than anything else Pam wins the prize for coming up with the most creative visual ideas for photo shoots of any model I've ever photographed.

oOo


To see what Photography Workshops I'm running at UWA Extension click HERE.
To Book a Portrait Shoot at FACEZ Studio  for you and your family with Dale, Tom or Angelique enquire HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment