Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Hand-Made in Darkroom

Katreena ran the men's hairdressing saloon in the Railway Hotel in Freo. A salubrious pub it was not. The Railway;s clientele was a special breed. Bikies, rednecks and wharfies gathered mid-week for a beer or three and the 'titty' show, But on the weekends the Railway becomes all things sugar and spice - family days, jazz, games for kids. The Railway was a pub for all reasons.

Katreena was a 'salt of the earth' woman. You couldn't find anyone more genuine or with a warmer heart. Always a kind word, always a huge smile and a hug. For just $10 you got a prize-winning haircut Tom Cyuise would be proud of, a neck massage, a lesson in life from Katreena the philosopher and a chit for a free drink at the bar. And if you timed it right, you might just catch the end of then titty show.

So Katreena's big birthday was coming up. The big FOUR ZERO. She asked me to take her portrait. First in the studio, then in the Swan River and finally dancing on the batr in a night club in High Street Freo. I was 54 at the time, which is usually the age when photographers peak. So I thought 'why not?'.

The river was bloody freezing. Didn't phase Katreena as she swayed through the water. I stood on the little jetty just like the boy who stood on the burning deck, picking the right time to shoot on Kodak Tri-X film.

I checked the proofs a couple of weeks later. I rated them with spots. Three spots being my selections. Then I marked the proof up to give to Tony my printer. Tony was the best black and white printer in Perth 20 years ago, maybe on equal rankings with the infamous Roger Garwood and the illustrious Lyn Whitfield-King.

No Photoshop. No Lightroom. This image was hand-made in Dark Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment